Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism is a diet that completely excludes the consumption of meat and fish. It is one of the varieties of vegetarianism – its other name is ovolactarianism. How are the two diets different from each other? Is lacto-ovo-vegetarianism completely safe for health and what are the main principles of this diet? What effects can we expect when using a diet? If you want to know the answers to all your questions about lacto-ovo-vegetarianism, please read our article!
The main varieties of vegetarianism
A vegetarian diet is becoming more and more popular – it is a consequence of increasing nutritional awareness among consumers. Some people choose to switch to vegetarianism for ethical reasons, others just want to take care of their health and appearance. However, before we decide to introduce changes to the daily menu, it is worth getting to know specific types of vegetarianism and their basic principles. Here are the main types of meatless diets:
- pesco-vegetarianism – recognizes the occasional consumption of fish
- ovo-vegetarianism – you can eat eggs according to this diet, but you should completely avoid dairy products
- veganism – is a restrictive form of veganism. The diet excludes all animal products
- raw food – the diet allows eating mainly sprouts, vegetables and fruits, as well as raw fish and meat
- lacto-ovo-vegetarianism / ovolactarianism – the menu includes both eggs and dairy products
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism is an excellent diet for people who would like to cut out of meat, but excluding animal products such as eggs and honey is too big a change for them. What exactly is ovolactarianism?
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism – what can you eat? The most important rules
The name of the diet comes from the Latin words: lactus- milk, ovum- egg and vegetation- vegetation. The diet excludes eating meat in any form, offal, lard, rennet and gelatin. Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism recommends eating plenty of vegetables, fruits, legumes, groats, pasta, eggs and dairy products. Meals should be balanced and varied so that the body does not run out of valuable nutrients. The most important source of protein for lacto-ovo-vegetarians is eggs. Also allowed are yoghurts, honey, various types of cheese and butter. Remember, however, that not every dairy product is recommended in the diet – it excludes various types of yoghurts or dairy desserts containing gelatin. Products derived from dead animals are prohibited.
Lacto-ovo-vegetarians not only exclude certain foods, but also do not use natural leather items and do not use cosmetics containing animal substances such as collagen, creatinine or tallow. Fats that can be found in some fruits, for example avocado or coconut, are very important to our body. When preparing meals, it is worth using coconut oil and olive oil. When it comes to a specific menu, there is complete freedom here. The list of prohibited products is so short that everyone will find something for themselves without any problems. For a completely safe diet, it is very important to eat about five servings of flour foods, as well as five servings of vegetables and fruit a day.
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism and health – advantages and disadvantages of diet
Like any diet, lacto-ovo-vegetarianism has its advantages and disadvantages. A properly composed lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet has a number of benefits for our health, including:
- reduces the risk of developing diabetes of the second type
- helps to avoid cardiovascular diseases and cancer
- allows you to keep a slim figure
- improves the condition of the skin, hair and nails
- increases bone density, helping to avoid rheumatism, osteoporosis and other degenerative diseases
- slows down the aging process of the body
- reduces the amount of bad cholesterol in the blood
- cleanses the intestines and improves metabolism
Remember, however, that the complete abandonment of meat and fish may result in a deficiency of vitamins D and B12, as well as minerals (mainly selenium, zinc and iron), which is why it is so important to plan your meals wisely. Iron can be found, among others, in green vegetables and grain products. If, despite the variety of consumed foods, deficiencies appear, it is worth reaching for supplements that the doctor prescribes. We can also supplement vitamin D “naturally” through exposure to the sun. At the beginning of the diet, you may also experience some side effects, such as abdominal pain, caused by the body gradually weaning off meat products.
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism and lacto-vegetarianism – are they the same?
Although these terms sound similar, they mean something completely different. According to both diets, the consumption of milk and its products is allowed, but the prefix “this” appears only in one of the names. Lacto-vegetarianism does not allow the consumption of eggs in any form, which makes it different from lacto-ovo-vegetarianism.
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism – is the diet safe for health?
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism is the lightest type of vegetarianism – the diet can be used by people of all ages, as well as pregnant and breastfeeding women. It is also safe for people in adolescence and athletes. During the diet, it is very important to choose different ingredients and conduct basic periodic tests, because lacto-ovo-vegetarianism increases the risk of deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals. We should also remember that switching to a meat-free diet should be done gradually. It is also very important to choose the highest quality products.
Ovolactarianism – consumer opinions
What do those who follow the lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet? Here are some of the reviews found on the internet:
- “I converted to lacto-ovo-vegetarianism for ideological reasons. I wanted to stop supporting farms where animals are kept under cruel conditions and then killed. I did not know that I would like to give up meat so much! I have already lost 7 kilos in four months and I am feeling much better than before! Before I gave up meat, I often had problems with heartburn and stomach pain. No medications helped. It turns out that it was enough to change the lifestyle a little and everything will return to normal. I recommend!”
- “Before I completely removed meat from my diet, I was suffering from a number of different ailments … I had very poor test results – mostly cholesterol. I was also slightly overweight. No exercise helped. I decided to read a bit about vegetarianism, but I wasn’t ready to give up animal products like milk and eggs. I decided that lacto-ovo-vegetarianism was the best solution. The rules of the diet are very simple and do not require great changes – it is enough to exclude meat, fish and other ingredients of animal origin. They can be replaced with legumes, lentils, vegetables. Thanks to the fact that I started eating consciously, I discovered many interesting, delicious dishes that are much better than fatty, fried meat. I feel fresh and light, I have a lot more energy for my favorite activities, and I also lost a few kilos! “
- “I heard about a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet from my teenage daughter. At first, I was skeptical, because it seemed to me that eating meat is very important for the body during adolescence, but it turned out that you can easily replace it with other products. Even though my husband still cannot imagine a meatless dinner, I decided to join my daughter and I have not eaten meat and fish for several months. Many people in our family have had cancer, so giving up red meat is the best way to reduce your risk of developing the disease. Since I don’t eat meat, I feel beautiful and healthy. Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism is the best solution for people who feel that vegetarianism is too restrictive for them. “
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism – is it worth trying?
Lacto-ovo-vegetarianism is a mild form of vegetarianism. Diet is an ideal method of fighting overweight and obesity. Its use really reduces the risk of developing diabetes and cancer. Due to the fact that the diet only excludes meat and fish, it does not require sacrifice and making big changes in everyday life. When it comes to preparing meals, just get inspiration from vegetarian recipes. The diet does not cause any side effects, but improves general well-being, as confirmed by Internet users. The use of lacto-ovo-vegetarianism has a number of benefits, so if you want to quickly and safely improve your health, you will surely like this diet.