A double chin is a common problem with which patients visit aesthetic medicine clinics. This is a defect that is very difficult to hide – even under a layer of thick makeup. It occurs in both women and men. Excess fat under the chin affects people of all ages and it is not always caused by overweight – a double chin is also the bane of thin people. Unfortunately, masking a double chin is not possible, but luckily there are treatments and exercises to reduce it. What is the most effective way? In the article below you will find all the necessary information on this topic.
Double chin – causes. Can the formation of a defect be prevented?
There are several reasons for the formation of a double chin – it is worth understanding them before choosing the best treatment]. Some of them are:
- Genetic conditions – unfortunately, usually a double chin is a “gift” from parents and grandparents. When the double chin is a matter of genes, it is made of brown fat, that is, one that the body “accumulates” for rainy days, regardless of us. It is very difficult to get rid of such fat – in this case, only a treatment in a professional aesthetic medicine office may be effective.
- Obesity – sometimes it is the extra kilos that are the culprit. Unfortunately, the extra fat is visible not only all over the body but also on the face. It is very difficult to get rid of fat from the face due to the fact that fat cells are surrounded by fibrous tissue and have very little blood supply. Only general weight loss can help.
- Slouching – the constant keeping of the head bent down, unfortunately leaves a permanent mark on our face. Unfortunately, incorrect posture, which we do not even pay attention to, has a huge impact on the appearance of the skin. Remember to keep your head straight and your shoulder blades pulled back.
- Thyroid problems
- Bad sleeping habits – do you like to sleep on large, soft pillows? It is worth giving them up – the best for our skin is a thin cave or sleeping on a flat surface.
- Frequent visits to the solarium – the condition of our skin is very important, and frequent contact with UV rays, unfortunately, has a bad effect on it, causing sagging, which creates a double chin. Don’t forget about your neck using sunscreen.
- Incorrect care of the skin of the face, neck and neckline – or its complete absence … When the skin is well nourished and moisturized, we are unlikely to suffer from the problem of a double chin. Unfortunately, we often forget about these places. In the further part of the article you will learn about proven methods for the best care of these parts of the body.
Double chin treatments. Do they really work?
In the fight against a double chin, it is worth taking advantage of the rich offer of aesthetic medicine clinics. Not every procedure is invasive, but professional help is a guarantee of effectiveness. What methods do we have to choose from and what exactly are they based on?
- Needle-free mesotherapy – involves introducing active substances into the fatty tissue that breaks down triglycerides. The treatment does not cause any side effects, and its cost is about PLN 200. For the therapy to be effective, it is worth investing in 8-10 treatments.
- Laser lipolysis – is the use of a laser to reduce body fat. The optical fiber is inserted into the adipose tissue after making small incisions, and then the radiation breaks the walls, slowly releasing unnecessary fat. Fat that is not released during the procedure undergoes metabolism and is excreted from the body for several consecutive days. The laser lipolysis treatment does not require anesthesia, and the patient can return to the previous activity after 4 days. Unfortunately, the procedure is more invasive than needle-free mesotherapy, which is why bruises may appear on the face after it is performed. Increased sensitivity to touch may also occur. The cost is about PLN 2,000.
- Ultrasonic lipolysis – is based on a massage with a specialized head that emits heat and ultrasounds, with the help of which the fatty tissue is broken and transformed into an emulsion. The released fluid is removed without disturbing the tissues and nerves. Ultrasonic lipolysis costs about PLN 4,000, but it is really effective.
- Facial thermoplasty (RF thermolifting) – is a very modern method that involves heating the skin, removing sagging tissue and improving the tone of the facial muscles. Thermoplasty helps to eliminate saggy cheeks and chin by stimulating the skin to produce collagen. RF thermolifting can be used both on the face and other parts of the body. You can expect spectacular effects after about 10 treatments – the price of one is from 100 to 250 PLN. Thermolifting increases the density of the skin, improves the face oval, lifts the cheeks and eyelids, reduces “bags” under the eyes, and also reduces wrinkles.
- Zaffiro Thermolifting – before performing this treatment, it will be necessary to properly moisturize the skin, as well as the use of preparations with vitamin C, D and E – they strengthen the entire effect. At the beginning, a cooling gel is applied to the face with a head – it cools the outer layer of the skin. Then the head emits IR radiation. During the procedure, the patient feels warm, but it should not cause discomfort. Finally, the face is massaged with a special cooler, which additionally cools the skin. The cost of the treatment is about PLN 800. The effects are the same as in the case of RF thermolifting.
- Carboxytherapy – involves injecting carbon dioxide under the skin, which breaks down lipids, stimulates blood circulation and stimulates the production of collagen.
- Icoone (double chin firming) – is a modern treatment that uses the action of rollers that massage the skin under pressure. As a result, it becomes tense, elastic and moisturized. During the procedure, you can use various sources of pressure, which allows you to adjust it fully to the individual needs of the patient.
- Mobilift – it is a mechanical stimulation of tissues. The procedure is performed using a head with two flaps. Intensive massage stimulates the skin to regenerate.
After performing each of the above-mentioned treatments, it is worth deciding to apply a serum or a special, nourishing mask to support collagen synthesis. The first effects are visible after a few days, but we have to wait a few weeks for the skin to fully regenerate.
Contraindications for double chin treatments
Even though aesthetic medicine treatments really work, not everyone can benefit from them. We should remember to perform the necessary basic tests before any intervention in the skin. Contraindications to treatments (mainly thermolifting) include blood clotting disorders, hypertension or infectious diseases. They should also be avoided by pregnant or breastfeeding women. Any “repair” of the skin is also not recommended for people struggling with inflammation or acne – in this case, the treatments may only cause irritation.
Double chin – creams and home masks to tighten the skin
Although only cosmetic procedures give 100% satisfaction, it is worth knowing how to care for the skin of the face in the right way – this will prevent the appearance of a double chin, and if the procedure is performed, it will ensure long-lasting results. Ingredients that will help fight a double chin include red and green clay. They drain the excess of accumulated lymph and toxins that block the flow of nutrients in the skin. That is why it is worth choosing creams and masks with their content. When it comes to home remedies, the effective action is … cucumber. It not only moisturizes, but also unblocks pores. Here is a recipe for a cucumber mask:
Cucumber and natural yoghurt mask – mix half of a cucumber, add natural yoghurt (two tablespoons are enough) and honey, spread on the face and leave for 20 minutes. Both cucumber and yoghurt have a soothing effect on the face, reduce fatigue and swelling.
Vitamin can also help to lift saggy facial skin – it is worth including it in your diet (you can find it in nuts, cabbage or spinach), but also use it from the outside. Vitamin E delays the skin aging process. It contains large amounts of antioxidants, thanks to which the skin becomes smooth and nourished. It is enough to spread the contents of one capsule on the chin, neck and décolleté twice a week and let it be absorbed.
When it comes to creams available in drugstores, it is worth choosing creams with a high content of moisturizing ingredients (collagen, glycerin and hyaluronic acid). Remember that the most important thing is to use it regularly!
Double chin – exercises to help you get rid of it
Exercises for a double chin can be done independently at home – the more often, the better the results will bring. This type of training is very simple and does not last too long – so it is worth spending a few minutes a day on them. We should do exercises at least three times a week. One of the easiest exercises for a double chin is pronouncing the consonants (a, e, io, u) loud, clearly. When speaking, we should open our mouths as wide as possible. Another exercise worth trying is tilting your head, one time to the right, one to the left, and staying in each position for about 20 seconds, while touching the palate with your tongue. Exercise helps to improve the functioning of the facial muscles, making the skin supple.